Hey PG and happy Monday!
April’s Third Thursday is almost upon us, so this is a notice of where we’ll be meeting and what is planned.
ONE BIG REMINDER UP FRONT: This meeting is one of our scheduled charity drive events for 2017. Read on for more info and please bring whatever you can!
- Kip and team have invited us to meet at LA Ale Works in Hawthorne again. Map and directions are at the end of this post.
- We’ll start with the ribbon ceremony for this year’s Los Angeles Belgian Brew Challenge winners, and then move on to a few minutes of club announcements back behind the fermenters.
- The style of the month for April is Belgian, and member Barry is all set to host the tasting. I’m looking forward to the best beer of the meeting competition too, because you know: I LOVE BELGIAN BEER! 😀 😀
- Did you loan us a cooler for LABBC? (this year OR last) We’ll have them available for pickup and they really need to go home. Kip has generously stored them for us over the past month, it’s time we get them out of his way!
- LABBC left behind a ton of 2nd bottles that weren’t opened (didn’t make it to the mini best of show) and they’ve been “chillin” in my fridge at 34F. I’ll be bringing them too for random tasting and I’d like them to go home with a bottler who will clean and refill them. If not, they are dumpster bound.
- We’re also collecting donation items that will go on to people-in-need via our connection with the Ocean Park Community Center – The People Concern.
This is a great excuse to go through your closets and/or go to your favorite low cost stores to purchase donate-able supplies. You can shop stores like: Ross and other discount clothing stores, 99 cent stores, Costco and other whole sale stores, or even CVS, Walgreens, and Target. Want to give Money? Mimi your Charity and Special Event coordinator can take cash or checks (made out to: OPCC) for the OPCC.net organization. She’ll take it along with the purchase items for drop off.
If you have clothes & other items to donate, see the detailed list below. They are mostly in need of men’s clothing in large sizes. Clothing can be “gently used” and should be clean. Visit this link for other donations ideas: https://www.opcc.net/?nd=in_kind
Monetary donations will also be accepted – checks or cash. Special donation envelopes will be available at the meeting. Tax receipts for monetary donations will be sent to you by mail.
Below is a list of items that we can always use:
Sweat socks – for men, women and children
Sweat shirts and pants for adults – all sizes especially larger sizes
Sneakers – men’s & women’s most needed
Rain ponchos for adults & children
New underwear – men’s, women and children
Flannel and long sleeve shirts for adults
Personal & Household items
Hand & body lotion
Sanitary napkins & tampons
Blankets (preferably wool)
Backpacks or duffel bags
Sleeping bags for adults
Diapers – all sizes
Bedding: Twin size sheets, comforters and pillows. Please note pillow must be new.
Supermarkets (Ralphs, Vons,Albertson’s)
Fast food restaurants
Book & music stores
Clothing stores, department stores (Marshalls, Target or Ross)
Markers, finger paints, facepaints, crayons, watercolors, glue, glitter, collage materials, coloring books,
activity books, stickers.
These charity drive events are an excellent way for us to give back to the local community. There’s something satisfying in knowing that our donations go to people in our own city who need help. Thank you each in advance for bringing out whatever you can afford.
Until Thursday! 🙂 Cheers!