March 2012 Board Meeting Minutes
PG Board Meeting March 1st, 2012
In attendance: Audrey, Craig, Carl, Victor, Terry, Dave S., Dan H.
Not in Attendance: Dave M., Kurt
Reports of Board Members & Committees
A. By-Laws Committee: Dan Hakes
1. Progress of draft coming along well, meeting every 2 weeks, should be on track for draft by April board meeting, then can go out to general membership for review.
2. Split into 2 documents, general by-laws to gain legal status, next step will be completing club charter.
B. President: Audrey
1. Calendar (Addendum A)
a) 4/5: April FF @ The Richmond (5pm, backroom reserved)
b) 4/21: Yeastside Brewers Pasadena Pub Crawl (4pm via metro rail, places TBA)
c) 5/4-5/6: SCHBF in Ojai
d) 5/11: May Second Friday @ Tomm Carroll’s Trux Stop
e) 5/12: Visit Eagle Rock brewery with Yeastside Brewers
f) 5/26: Spring Big Brew @ Carl’s
1. Jockey Box Day- plan to survey membership & pre-pay for materials
g) 6/1: June FF @ Dan Hakes’ Carriage House
h) 6/9: OC Road Trip
i) Craft Art & Folk Museum Homebrew Event- details TBA
j) Other possibilities: City Tavern (Sat /Sun), Whole Foods El Segundo (Sun), The Overland, Daily Pint
k) Summer Party: likely “Christmas in July” @ Neil’s
2. Strand & Yeastside Club Coordination
a) Spoke to Rives & Josh about collaborating: club calendars, events, & trips to help with planning, sign-ups, cost, & turn-out.
b) Both on-board; possible multi-club brew and/or barrel project, mini-homebrew fest.
3. Road Trips: Kurt (Addendum B)
a) 2-stop afternoon/evening trip, possibly leaving after lunch and returning at 7 or so.
b) Yeastside & Strand may join.
a) COY shirts: sold 32/71 ($870 collected, cost $1,508, $592 profit if all sold, 53 to break even)
1. Terry to add write-up to website, Audrey to include in meeting announcement & Monster Brew reminder 3/2 (FB & Yahoo)
b) New glasses: need to order soon, looking for pricing
c) Leashes: making more for SCHBF
d) Michael has items to donate to fundraising- hoping to get small $ back or cert to CCHBS
1. Terry to follow-up with Michael
5. March Club Meeting
a) Michael doing corned beef & cabbage – will recruit volunteers
b) Budget: $100 or less (12CB’s, 4 bread, 6-8 cabbages, 20 potatoes)
c) Supplies: from Neil’s, may need to purchase some
C.Vice President: Dave
1. New Duty: Asset Manager to coordinate with Treasurer, will continue to develop
2. March Club Meeting
a) Set-up for meeting & help with Michael with food set-up
b) Style Tasting- continue recruiting volunteers
c) Keg of the month voting
1. Treasury Report March 2012 (Addendum B)
a) Current Balance: $3927.50 as of 2/29
b) Recent Expense: Anchor Road Trip (-$800), next time have critical mass for order by New Year’s Day or do not order bus
2. PG Annual Budget March 2012 – February 2013 (Addendum C)
a) Based upon prior year’s income/expense, conservative, includes small storage locker
b) Current deficit of $1,530 – need fundraisers, guest fees, trim expenses, spend surplus?
c) Income: $8,100 (new members, dues renewals, fundraisers, other)
d) Expenses: $10,230: (admin, supplies, awards, board, club brews, club meetings, competitions, equipment, parties, promotions, storage, road trips, website
3. Paypal: not able to use currently, need to upgrade to business account w/new TIN, but cannot until have legal status, shut down all payments through paypal for now.
4. Membership: 256 members (4 lifetime) as of 2/29/12
a) New: 7 in Feb ($210), 18 in 2012 ($560), target 60 new this year
b) Current: 163 due/past due in March 2012, 72 due in April 2012- Feb 2013
c) Annual Dues Collection: $6,197 due from 239 members, notifications out already via email, Craig to post to website as well
1. Dues Coupons: Terry to print out, Audrey to cut & bring to March club meeting, then leave at shop
2. Late Fee: $5 after 60 days (by May club meeting), can renew @ Summer party but best ahead of time to help with party planning budget!
5. Storage: Victor has quote ($97/mo, 2 keys, 4×6’, 2nd floor, 24hr access)
a) If pay 6mo in advance, get a 5% discount on the rental – 1yr in advance, 10% off
b) Can have club name on unit, but need responsible party (Treasurer) on account as well (ID & last 4 digits SSN)
c) Can sign for deliveries, also have mailboxes available (special $7/mo currently)
d) Inventory: Carl keeping CDS @ his place, plan to raffle off Club Brew system @ Summer Party (Terry to brainstorm ideas)
6. COY Banner: Victor has quote ($65), also looking into another option (Joe Kovach), will order in time for SCHBF
E. Competitions: Carl
1. Competitions March 2012 (Addendum D)
a) COC Schedule: April: Scottish & Irish Ale, July/August: Porters, August/September: Light Hybrid, October: Old Ales
b) Competitions: March: AHA Nationals (due @ shop by club meeting 3/15, Audrey to transport to SD), April 12th: Mayfaire (coordinate w/Falcons for pick-up date), May: CA State Fair, June: AHA Finals, July: LA County Fair, September: PBC (Strand hosting this year), October: CA State Homebrew Comp.
F. Communications: Victor
1. Website Updates March 2012 (Addendum E)- Victor & Dave S.
a) Web Hosting: Dave transferring server by April 15th, so some changes will wait until then, but plan to combine .com, .org, & emails into one location, cost estimate $150/yr
b) Comments Section: can turn off if desired, but promotes communication & interest in site, all need to become more familiar with structure
c) Links Page: create categories (homebrew associations, local clubs, supplies & equipment, bars, Food GPS)
d) Club News: new tab for articles, could also call it “Press”
e) Newsletter & Flyers: Dave to complete upload of newsletter archives in April, monthly flyers to post in blog under new category “Flyers” with hyperlinks to articles it references
f) Member Section: discussion board primary focus (April, after server transfer), also ability to post events (RSVP & volunteer) – more of an online community
2. Flyer: Victor creating monthly to hand out at club meetings, will also post to website
a) Send out for review 1 week prior, corrections due Sunday before meeting
G. SCHBF: Victor
1. SCHBF Projected Budget 2012 (Addendum F)
a) Sign-ups start at March club meeting – Victor to post article
b) Kegs – Carl to oversee keg sign-ups
c) Projected Budget: $460 – this is very conservative. $965 available if last year’s attendance / patterns hold true.
d) Volunteers managing 3 main meals, Friday night dinner is a potluck (some community food may be included)