After a long gap triggered by the COVID pandemic, we have resurrected the Los Angeles Belgian Brew Challenge for 2023. This competition focuses on the Belgian styles as defined in the 2015 BJCP guidelines. This year, judging will be hosted at our home brewery, Tortugo Brewing Company on March 25. This will give you time to brew for most of the styles. The Best in Show entry will be brewed by Tortugo as a Pro-Am entry in the Great American Beer Festival.
Here are some of the key details for 2023:
- Entry Registration begins on February 1st and runs through March 10th.
- Two bottles are required for each entry with a $10 entry fee.
- Bottle drop-off begins February 25th and runs through March 10th. Entries can be dropped off at the brewery, or the local homebrew shops.
- Volunteers for Judges, Stewards and other assistants can sign up now. Volunteers will get the official competition tee shirt.
- Bottle Organizing will be held at Tortugo on Saturday, March 11th.
- Main judging Saturday, March 25th at Tortugo.
For general information about the competition, go to http://belgianbrewchallenge.com/ In addition to the beer styles that can be entered, we will cover some sponsor highlights.
Sign-ups for Judges, Stewards and other assistants can be found at http://comp.belgianbrewchallenge.com/ Entry registration can be found here as well starting February 1st.
So get those brew kettles going now and good luck with your entries!
Other Upcoming Events
January 19th 7:30 PM. January Club Meeting at Tortugo Brewing Company. Style of the month is Winter Beers.
February 1: Entry Registration begins for LABBC
February 3 or 4th: First Friday or Saturday TBD
February 16: Club Meeting at Tortugo Brewing Company
February 25: Entry Drop-off begins for LABBC
March 10: Entry Drop-off Deadline for LABBC
March 11: Bottle Organizing Session at Tortugo
March 25: Main Judging Session for LABBC at Tortugo