Hey, we have less than a week to go until the summer party on Saturday, July 20th, and some of you haven’t let me know what beers you are bringing. Please drop me a line at [email protected] to let me know what you have. Some of you had listed “TBD”, so if you know what it is, please send me an update.
We need sodas too! I have a couple listed, but we can use some more. Sodas go a long way to breaking up the heat on a long summer day. As usual, we will be voting Read more
Hi everyone, Happy Friday. I wanted to let you know about some free events in July that feature some rare Goose Island products. But first, I want to talk about volunteering for the Summer Party. There is an organizing meeting on July 11th at Dean’s house. If you are available to do some of the heavy lifting for the summer party (buying supplies, transporting kegs, renting chairs), we’d appreciate it if you could attend. Email me at [email protected] so I can get a headcount since Dean will be providing dinner. If you can’t make the organizing meeting but would like to help and you didn’t sign up for it at the last club meeting, email me at [email protected] and we can work out if you would like to help before during, and/or after the party. Finally, make sure you mark your calendars for July 20th for the summer party. And as I announced at the March meeting, unless you have heard otherwise from me your guests must pay $10 to attend the party in order for us to make up the costs.
Now for the Goose Island announcements:
“On Wed., July 10 from 6 – 9 p.m. at Beer Belly, we’ll be tapping a Bourbon County Stout Single Barrel, Bourbon County Stout Coffee (2012) and Bourbon County Stout Cherry, along with The Illinois, Sofie Paradisi, Matilda, Madame Rose (2010) and Juliet (2012). Brewmasters from Goose Island will be in attendance to talk great beer. Beer Belly is located at 532 S. Western Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90020.
Also, on Thur., July 11 from 6 – 9 p.m. at the Surly Goat, we’ll be sampling – Bourbon County Stout Single Barrel, Bourbon County Stout Cherry Rye, Bourbon County Stout Coffee (2011), Bourbon County Stout Vanilla (2010), as well as Sofie, Sofie Paradisi, The Illinois, Madame Rose and Night Stalker. Surly Goat is located at 7929 Santa Monica Blvd. West Hollywood, CA 90046. Unfortunately, our brewer will not be around for this event.”
Hey everyone a quick announcement to let you know that the summer party is scheduled for July 20th. We’ll be returning to our classic location at Dean’s house on Amalfi Drive and the theme is South of the Border. More details coming but mark your calendars. Also be prepared to help before, during, and after to make this the best summer party ever!
You can learn lots more at the June meeting coming up this Thursday the 20th. The beer theme is wheat and spelt beers so if you made something neat at the monster brew consider bringing it. Noelle will be hosting the commercial tasting and we will be awarding a gift certificate for best beer of the meeting. Finally, this will likely be the last meeting at the usual location, so come with some ideas about how you would like club meetings to be conducted in the future.
Woooo! Great party, huh? I hope that everyone who attended had a nice time and got home safely and without incident. I’d also like to take a moment to reflect on all that had to come together to make this shindig possible:
- Special thanks to our creative and tireless President, Audrey, for coming up with the “Oktoberfest In July” concept and for the significant amount of planning and organizing she took on to pull this massive event off.
- Extra-special thanks to our ever-gracious and generous host, Neil Saund, for once again allowing the club access to his Palatial Duplex for our party, and for everything he does for the club behind the scenes.
- Thanks also to the members of the PG Board of Directors who took time out of their busy lives to help in their respective capacities.
- To the volunteers who answered the call: thanks so much – especially to all of the very new members who showed up and did their part – your example is to be commended. As you witnessed and experienced, the sheer amount of work and time involved to put on a party of this size is no small thing. I’d like to encourage those of you who didn’t volunteer this time around to consider stepping up and getting involved next time – the Holiday Party will be here before we know it!
- To those who made food and beer contributions to our grand event – yuuuummmm…and thanks, as always. No food, no beer, no fun!
- Finally, to YOU – for behaving like civilized folk and adhering to the rules (well, most of you, at least…wow).
I’d asked previously that you snap some pix at the party for our collective enjoyment, and PG member / up-and-coming pro-brewer, Kip Barnes, did just that, and wrote a nice little article about it, too. You can find it here.
Alrighty then – hasta la proxima!
— Victor Macias, Communications Director
Hello again. I wanted to post one final reminder reiterating some important points and also introducing a couple of new topics to the mix:
- If you haven’t already done so, please RSVP as soon as possible by replying to the separate email you should’ve already received. You can also specify what volunteering you’d like to do, as well as noting your potluck contribution and / or the keg(s) you plan on bringing.
- After much discussion and effort, we finally have new Pacific Gravity tasting glasses and more beer glass leashes! The glasses are a different style / shape than we’ve had in the past, and they look great with the red and black oval PG logo. If you’re interested in purchasing one (or more), we’ll have them on sale in a combo with a leash for $10, or you can buy them individually at $7 for a glass and $5 for a leash. Bring cash for ease of transaction.
- Remember also that we’ll be conducting our massive raffle for all manner of beer related prizes, such as bottles of fine ale, homebrewing equipment, and gift certificates for great local watering holes. Raffle tickets can be purchased for $1 each.
- We’ll be holding a silent auction for PG’s 3-tier club brewing system. This is a “turnkey” 10-gallon system consisting of a brewstand with burners, 2 converted keg-kettles, and a “gott-style” mash tun. You won’t need to fork over the cash on-the-spot for this; we’ll arrange for the winner of the auction to pay for and transport this large item during more sober circumstances.
- Finally, there’s one thing that I’ve forgotten to mention along the way – take some pictures at the party! Bring a camera and capture the moments… I’ll collect photos from you afterwards and put together a recap / photo essay for all to enjoy. Just don’t get all creepy with those zoom lenses, K? You know who you are….
Alright kids – that’s all I’ve got. I leave the rest to you. Let’s make this year’s Summer Party one to remember! See you all this Saturday.
I wanted to take a moment to thank all of the fine PG members that came out to help with the Summer Party setup this past Saturday – we had a great turnout and got a lot done. We couldn’t have done it without you, so thanks!
We’ll be over at Neil’s again this Friday afternoon doing more setup, decorating, food prep, and last-minute stuff, so if you have yet to do your part, please come on by when you can and pitch in.
I also wanted to remind all of you to please RSVP for the Summer Party if you haven’t already done so. Deadline for RSVPing is this Wednesday, the 18th. Please RSVP via the separate email that you should’ve already received.
Finally, remember that you can drop your kegs off at Culver City Homebrewing Supply for convenient transportation to the party. Please do so by 7pm this Thursday at the latest. Please use the toe tags in the CLUB STUFF drawer at the shop to label your kegs with your name and what beer is contained therein. Remember to email Carl and let him know what manner of beverage you’ll be bringing so that he can have a festive toe tag ready for you at the party.
We’re in the home stretch, kids, so let’s get it togetha and git ‘er done! As always, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email us. Thanks!
P.S. Almost forgot – there’s no monthly meeting at CCHBS in July – the Summer Party will be our July meeting!
Hello again, all. This is a friendly reminder to all PG members that we’ll be heading over to Neil’s Palatial Duplex at 12966 Rubens Avenue this Saturday, the 14th, at noon, to begin setting up for our much-anticipated Summer Party. We need all the help we can get to pull off this most massive of soirées, so please email us at [email protected] and let us know you’ll be coming by to help. We’ll have another pre-party setup afternoon / evening at Neil’s on Friday the 20th, so let us know if you can help then as well. These setup sessions are also a great time to hang out with and get to know your fellow members, and as always, a bit of social lubricant never hurts, so bring along some beers to share, especially of the Oktoberfest variety – your empty could end up as part of the decor!
In addition, we need everyone to RSVP to the separate email you should’ve received by now. Please RSVP no later than Wednesday, July 18th, and let us know:
- if you’re coming to the party or not
- how many guests you plan on bringing (current PG members get in for free, all guests of current PG members pay $10, no kids or pets this year)
- what your food and / or beer contributions are, and
- what volunteer shift(s) you’d like to work at the party
If you didn’t receive the RSVP email, it’s likely your dues have expired or we don’t have a current email address for you, so please let us know if either applies to you. You can renew your dues of $35 at the front gate on Party Day.
Thanks again for your time and for stepping up and helping Pacific Gravity put on a great Summer Party! See you there.
Greetings, all. We’re on approach to one of the hallmark events of the Pacific Gravity calendar: the always-epic Summer Party on Saturday, July 21st, from 1pm to 8pm, at Neil’s palatial duplex! This reminder is a call to all PG members to review our President Audrey’s previous post regarding this event, and also to ask you, our loyal membership, to step up and help to make this grand tradition of ours the best ever. Read more
Our annual Summer Party is nearly here and for those of you who have never been to one, it is our largest and most entertaining event of the year. We are doing things a little bit differently this year; our longtime host Dean Sussman is frolicking in Italy this summer, so our ever-gracious host, Neil Saund, has once again offered up his Duplex for our festivities.
When: Saturday, July 21st, 2012, from 1-8pm
Where: Neil Saund’s Duplex, 12966 Rubens Ave, LA, 90066
Admission: All current (dues paid-up to date) members are free, though you can pay your dues at the door or at the June club meeting with the $5 late fee. Admission for guests of club members will be $10.
Theme: We will be celebrating “Oktoberfest In July” this year!
Kegs: We encourage and need a selection of beverages, including homebrew (any Oktoberfest selections are encouraged!), meads, ciders, and non-alcoholic beverages. Awards will be given at the end of the party for the favorite alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverage. Sign-up sheets will be available at the June club meeting or as we get closer to the party. Please notify Carl @ [email protected] so he can plan ahead for your beers or other beverages to be served cold. Kegs can be brought to Neil’s Duplex on either set-up day (7/14 or 7/20) or dropped off at CCHBS by close of business (9pm) on Thursday 7/19. We need them prior to the day of the party in order to plan for enough taps, ice, and space so that everyone’s brews can be sampled by all. Read more